Thanks to Julie Barr for our next addition to our community Cooking Tips & Recipes collection.
Julie has really stepped up to the plate with her Store Cupboard Beef Stroganoff, which looks ‘awfy tasty‘. Julie must surely get extra thumbs-up for presentation, fantastic effort, Julie.
Give it a go yourself, have a hunt in the cupboards and add your own twist to Julie’s recipe. You can of course submit a new recipe for the collection too. Simply email it, with a picture or two to email@example.com
- 2 Sirloin Steaks
- 3 White Onions
- Punnet of Mushrooms
- 700ml of Milk (Full Cream or Semi-Skimmed)
- 50g of Salted Butter
- 2 Generous Tablespoons of Plain Flour
- 1 Knorr beef stock pot
- 1 Teaspoon of freshly ground Black Pepper
- 60g Soft Cream Cheese (eg Philadelphia)
- Optional: A teaspoon of miso paste if you have it but fine without
- Remove the visible fat from the sirloin steaks and keep to one side. Cut the steaks into very thin slices.
- Remove the onion skin, cut the onions in half and then cut into thin slices
- Cut the cleaned mushrooms into thin slices
- In a deep non stick pan make a roux with the butter and flour (melt the butter over a low heat then add the flour to make a thick paste)
- Slowly add the cold milk to the roux continuously stirring until all the milk is added and the mix begins to thicken a little (if you happen to get lumps don’t worry, just blitz it with a stick blender). Simmer on a low heat and stir occasionally while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add the beef stock cube to the pot and stir
- Add the pepper to the pot and stir
- Optional: Add the miso paste if you have it
- In a frying pan flash fry the thin slices of steak until they are nicely browned, set aside to rest in a dish for a few minutes then add to the roux and milk and stir in.
- In the same frying pan add the fat from the steak and let it melt
- Fry the onions and mushrooms in batches until they have a good colour then add the pot.
- Once all the ingredients are included simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soft cream cheese and stir in well, simmer for a further 10 minutes
I serve this with cauliflower rice but it works equally well with quinoa or mashed potato.Julie Barr